Can you believe that Easter is nearly here? We have put together a simple recipe for some delicious hot cross buns.
• 4 cups plain flour
• 1 tbl dried yeast
• ¼ cup caster sugar
• 3 teaspoons mixed spice
• pinch of salt
• 2 cups sultanas
• 40g butter
• 300ml milk
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
• ½ cup plain flour
• 4 to 5 tablespoons water
• ⅓ cup water
• 2 tablespoons caster sugar
• Butter, to serve
1. To make the dough combine mixed spice, flour, sugar, salt, and sultanas in a large bowl.
2. Warm the milk and add the yeast. Set this aside for 10 minutes to activate the yeast.
3. In a small saucepan melt butter and add milk. Heat until lukewarm.
4. Add saucepan mix to dough mix and stir together.
5. Kneed dough on a flat surface for 10 minutes, or until smooth. Place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside in warm place for 1 - 1½ hours . The dough should double in size.
6. Punch dough down to original size and knead for 30 seconds on a lightly floured surface until smooth.
7. Split dough into 12 even portions and roll into balls. Place onto a tray covered in baking paper at least 1cm apart. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 30 minutes or until buns double in size.
8. Preheat oven to 190ºC.
9. To make the flour paste mix flour and water together in a small bowl until smooth. Pipe flour paste over the tops of the buns to form a cross. If you don't own a piping bag try putting the mix in a plastic bag and chopping off a corner to form a 2mm hole.
10. Bake the buns for 20-25 minutes at 190ºC.
11. To make the glaze, place sugar and water into a saucepan. Over low heat, stir until sugar dissolves. Boil for 3-4 minutes before brushing glaze over the warm buns. If you are looking for a cheat to this step, try using golden syrup as a glaze instead.
Enjoy served warm or at room temperature.
Look out for our Hot Cross Buns coming soon to our cafes.