Alfresco Emporium's director, Jan, has shared her delicious recipe for a great American Fruit Cake. The recipe is a Christmas tradition that was passed down from Jan's mum and is great with that Christmas drink. We hope you enjoy.
- ¾lb shelled Brazil nuts
- ¼lb dates
- ¼lb glacé peaches
- ¼lb glacé pineapples
- ¼lb glacé apricots
- ¼lb glacé cherries
- ¼lb blanched almonds
- ¾ cup plain flour
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- ½tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- Combine nuts and roughly chopped fruit.
- Sift flour, sugar and baking powder over fruit mix.
- Beat eggs until light and fluffy, add vanilla and stir into nut mixture.
- Place mixture into a greased and lined loaf tin 9½" x 4½" x 2½".
- Bake in a slow oven 325ºF (160ºC) for 2 hours.
- Allow to cool and then store in the fridge wrapped in foil.
- To serve, cut into really thin slices.