Alfresco Emporium's director, Jan, has shared her delicious recipe for a great American Fruit Cake. The recipe is a Christmas tradition that was passed down from Jan's mum and is great with that Christmas drink. We hope you enjoy.
• ¾lb shelled Brazil nuts
• ¼lb dates
• ¼lb glacé peaches
• ¼lb glacé pineapples
• ¼lb glacé apricots
• ¼lb glacé cherries
• ¼lb blanched almonds
• ¾ cup plain flour
• ¾ cup caster sugar
• ½tsp baking powder
• 3 eggs
• 1tsp vanilla essence
1. Combine nuts and roughly chopped fruit.
2. Sift flour, sugar and baking powder over fruit mix.
3. Beat eggs until light and fluffy, add vanilla and stir into nut mixture.
4. Place mixture into a greased and lined loaf tin 9½" x 4½" x 2½".
5. Bake in a slow oven 325ºF (160ºC) for 2 hours.
6. Allow to cool and then store in the fridge wrapped in foil.
7. To serve, cut into really thin slices.