This traditional soup offers a delightful blend of flavours and textures. The roasted pumpkin adds a rich, slightly sweet undertone, while the kumara brings a creamy and earthy element to the dish. Combined with aromatic herbs and spices, this comforting soup is the perfect way to stay at home this winter.
- 1 butternut pumpkin cut in half, drizzle with olive oil, roast in the oven until tender
- 1 large kumara (sweet potato) peeled & cut into small cubes
- 2 large potatoes peeled & cut into small cubes
- 1 large brown onion diced
- 1 leek chopped
- 3 sticks celery diced
- 3 large cloves of crushed garlic
- 1.5 litres of chicken stock (vegetable stock if you prefer or mix it up)
- Ground nutmeg to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking cream 300 mL
- Optional garnish: chives & cream, pumpkin seeds
Drizzle olive oil over low to medium heat in a large pot. Add diced brown onion, chopped leek & crushed garlic. Cook until soft. Add kumara & potato, stir to combine along with scooped roasted pumpkin into the pot. Add the stock. Season with nutmeg, salt & pepper, bringing to a slow boil. Turn the heat down & low simmer for 45 minutes. Turn-off, allow to cool for about an hour. Using a stick blender, blend until smooth. Stir in cooking cream & return to low heat for 1/2 hour. Serve garnished with chives, a drizzle of cream, a sprinkle of nutmeg & pumpkin seeds. Complement with warm crusty rye sourdough.